VIDEO IN TEFL
"Video has been proved to be an effective method in teaching English as a foreign/second language (EFL/ESL) for both young and adult learners. Video can be used in a variety of instructional settings—in classrooms, in distance learning sites where information is broadcast from a central point of learners who interact with the facilitator via video or computer, and in self-study and evaluation situations. It also can be used in teacher’s self and professional development or with students as a way of presenting content, initiating conversations, and providing illustrations for various concepts. Teachers and students can always create their own videotapes as content for the class or as a means to assess learners’ performance."Read more at http://www.usingenglish.com/articles/video-in-efl-classrooms.html#UiM05fatpFmsUQLo.99
Before even starting this project I was already excited about it. I have had some background knowledge about editing which I learned form my husband who is a director of photography and an editor.
Our group decided on creating a movie trailer kind of video. In addition to the new footage we used some old footage as well. The editing process was very easy, and fun because the tool: imovie has it all set up nicely and with just click of a button our video looked really cool. There are drawbacks however, such as the tool didn't give many options, for example it didn't allow to add some other edited parts to the trailer. Despite the fun part it can be really time consuming if we want to have something to look more professional.
For teachers this is really great and enough I guess to know to help students in creating their own videos. Students can go in more depth if they are interested in learning more about shooting and editing. As a teacher I think I should at least know some basic steps on how to create a video if I need to for teaching purposes. I watched the videos and it was very informative and detailed and it will take time to master all these techniques and tips creating a video. This was truly an interesting, I would say the most fun project I have done so far at AUA. This is by far the most important class I think, the outcome of which I can apply in real life at my work, to meet the goals of today's technology driven world, digital generation.The great thing about using this tool in teaching is that we can create our own authentic material to provide additional learning content for listening, also it 'll motivate students intrinsically. Students like hands on projects and this definitely will be one of their favorites ! And here is our creation which we would like to share in class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVMXr2WGog

No comments:
Post a Comment